Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The "Overcoming Adversity:Bloghop, Flash Fiction - Dreams and Hopes

This post is written for a bloghop hosted by  Nick Wilford. Nick's stepson, Andrew, has cerebral palsy and is coming to the end of his time at his current school. Nick is compiling an anthology
to raise money for a proper education for his stepson.
How wonderful to do so and offer the others the opportunity to feel involved in something that matters!


 
Dreams and Hopes

“You know, Dean, passion isn’t enough. You have to be very well prepared for such an important job. I know it’s a beautiful dream, but I’d suggest you start thinking about something… closer to reality. How about accountancy?” my career adviser repeated for a hundredth time.


And he wasn’t the only one. My parents kept giving me lectures about “this fantasist job” and how “dreams don’t pay bills.”

My friends were mockingly asking if “earth girls weren’t attractive enough.”


It’s been almost a year since I’ve told them I wanted to be an astronomer and just as much since the jokes and lectures begun. At first, it didn’t affect me, but after being mocked, patronized and scolded I’ve started getting my hopes down.


So, I’ve unglued my space posters, I’ve boxed my astronomy books atlases and my telescope and deposited them and all my dreams in the attic.


Parents and friends seemed satisfied with my new choice – economics. Nobody noticed my grief, my lack of interest.


One week my sister came home from university. She entered my room looking disappointed.

“Where is all your stuff?” she asked.

“In the attic. I didn’t need them anymore.”

“Why?” she asked annoyed.

“It was time. I have just one year of high school left and I had to give up distractions.” I replied, using the words I’ve been told before.

“It that why you gave up astronomy?”

“Well, I had to think of something I could major in that doesn’t cost so much.” I replied mechanically.

“Is that who you want to be? Is that you? My brother had dreams,knew what he wanted. You gave up your dream. Plenty like that in the world.” I lowered my eyes and I asked her: “So, you’re not majoring in Law to please mum and dad?”

She laughed. “I didn’t do it for them. I did it so I can help others. It’s my dream. I’m sorry to see you gave up yours.”

When she left, all she said to me was: “When you want something and believe in it, you find a way!”


It kept me awake for two nights. I finally decided to try to obtain a scholarship in spite of my lack of preparation in astronomy. 


I’ve found an astronomy study group online and obsessively reading in the field.


I’ve started attending conferences and entering my projects to astronomy fairs.


I wrote astronomy papers and sent them to magazines.


My space posters and my telescope were back in my room. My parents would open the door and growl about “useless obsession.” My career adviser kept talking about economics.

My sister was the only one to smile.


At the end of high school, when the answers to my internship applications came and were all positive, I was happy. Everybody congratulated me.

I thanked my sister.


When I’ve got hired after my first week of internship my parents were astounded.

My sister called and told me: “I’m waiting for your call from space, someday.”

7 comments:

  1. Excellent story. His sister was a smart cookie! Just shows that you shouldn't give up on your dreams just because others say they're a waste of time. Follow your heart.

    Thanks so much for submitting two entries for the blogfest! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it!
      both for the cause and for the theme.

      Delete
  2. Don't mention it! I liked your idea and your motivation for this bloghop.

    Just hope you'lle be able to use them. And by the way, feel free to edit this one because I'm Romanian and I don't have a native's skills in writing in English or your customs of formatting.

    I've read some of the other materials and they're great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, that's totally how I feel as a writer, sometimes my parents turn their noses up at me, but I'm out to prove them wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wrote this having in mind my parents' reactions at my wish of being a writer. But it would have beeen over the top to write about a writer - it would have been exactly my story (without the success part which is on its way)

      It seems we're in this together, it should be easier with company. We both want to prove our parents wrong, we'll both succeed. Must be positive and do what you like!

      Delete
  4. I love this story 'cause I always daydreamed of being an astronomer. It's way out of my reach due to my complete lack of aptitude for maths/science, but I'm still interested in it. And I intend to learn a lot more about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it, Trisha! Dreams are important! And make us happy.

      I dont't want to have regrets later in life because I did what I was supposed to instead of doing what I wanted to. So, even if you follow astronomy as an amateur it something you do for yourself. BTW, do you know how many important descoveries were made by amateurs because proffesional astronomers overlooked them?

      That's something to think about!

      Delete